|Take either fork - they rejoin a short ways down the trail|
|Take the left fork here|
|Choose your own adventure: path on the right or scramble up the rocks at centre|
|Option 3 to get up to the lookout: harder scramble |
(NOT the official trail)
|View from McConnell Ridge Viewpoint|
|Looking towards Mount Baldy from McConnell Ridge Viewpoint|
Prairieview Trail at a Glance
Directions from Calgary: Head west on Highway 1. Take the Highway 40S/Kananaskis Trail exit. At the top of the ramp, turn left at the stop sign. Continue for 12 km. AFTER Barrier Lake Information Centre, turn right at Barrier Dam Day Use.
Parking: Barrier Dam Day Use Area
Trailhead: The trailhead is at the northwest corner of the parking lot.
|Barrier Lake Fire Lookout|
Know Before You Go
- Ice cleats or microspikes are recommended from late fall to late spring.
- The trail is for hiking and mountain biking. Please share the trail.
- As this trail is in a provincial park, dogs must be on leash at all times.
- For a longer hike and chance to see a small waterfall, you can make a loop with Jewell Creek/Falls.
- There are garbage cans at the trailhead only. Please pack out all trash.