Home Gear Reviews DIY Waterproof Fire Starters

DIY Waterproof Fire Starters

by Karen Ung

These easy to make waterproof fire starters can be made from items around your house that you would normally throw out (except for the dental floss). Instead of plain paraffin wax, upcycle some broken crayons or ends of candles in your favorite colors to make designer fire starters. (Don’t mix all the colors of the rainbow together or you’ll end up with brown “nature” fire starters like we did.)

 

Materials Needed

  • dryer lint
  • broken crayons, remnants of unscented candles, chunks of paraffin wax (break it up so it melts faster)
  • cardboard egg carton
  • cotton twine
  • clean, empty tin can
  • piece of wax paper/aluminum foil
  • optional: birthday candle to use as a wick

Instructions

    1. Put the pieces of candle, crayon, and/or chunks of paraffin wax in the tin can. Tip: Don’t use more than 25% crayons as they don’t burn as well as candle ends and paraffin.

      Wax and crayons melting in improvised double boiler.
    2. Place the tin can in a sauce pan of water on the stove.
    3. Put the heat on high. Let the water boil until all the wax has melted.
    4. While the wax is melting, cut the egg carton into single egg cups.
    5. Fill each “cup” with dryer lint. If using a birthday candle wick, insert a candle and leave the wick sticking out.
    6. Fold the tops over so the dryer lint is encased in cardboard, then tie closed with twine.
    7. Dip the whole thing in wax so it is completely coated.
    8. Fish out with a spoon and place on sheet of wax paper or aluminum foil to cool.
Dryer lint “eggs” wrapped in egg carton and dental floss.
Waterproof DIY Fire Starters

Store the fire starters in an airtight plastic container or zipper bag and bring them on your next camping trip! They take a few seconds to light, but last quite a while – long enough to get your kindling burning. The birthday candle wick makes for easier lighting.

Related Posts

You may also like

2 comments

Play Outside Gal April 29, 2015 - 3:20 pm

They lasted longer than I thought, but took a while to light. Will add a wick for quick lighting the next batch. I like using free stuff around the house to make 'em too. : )

Reply
DaggerDan April 26, 2015 - 1:51 am

This is a new approach. I like it. It should provide a long-lasting flame.

Reply

Leave a Comment

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Accept Read More