How to Get Rid of Shoe Odor
I’ve tried various methods to remove the reek with varying levels of success:
- Febreze / Bounce dryer sheets – Spray Febreze in your shoes or put a dryer sheet in each shoe to get rid of smell fast. These products mask the smell well, but must be used frequently to keep smell at bay. As soon as my shoes get wet and warm again, the smell comes back. I stopped using these products due to chemical sensitivities.
- Cornstarch / Baby powder – Sprinkle some in your shoes and on your feet. Cornstarch and baby powder absorb moisture to make your shoes a little less friendly to odor causing bacteria. This works if your feet aren’t super soakers when it comes to sweat.
- Baking soda – Sprinkle baking soda in your shoes when you get home and shake out the excess before wearing the shoes again. This is a simple and effective deodorizer to use periodically. Frequent use could lead to skin irritation due to a higher pH than your skin.
- Odor Eaters Insoles – These work if you can fit them in your shoes and if you put them in brand new shoes. Once you’ve stinkified your shoes, good luck getting the stench out. I tried them in a particularly ripe pair of shoes and didn’t notice any reduction in odour (but on the plus side, the smell did not get worse). I have read that silver shoe inserts work well as silver inhibits bacterial growth, but have yet to try this.
- Wash Your Shoes – Running shoes can go in the wash on gentle cycle with mild detergent and baking soda. This usually gets rid of most of the smell if you are careful to let the shoes dry completely before wearing them again. Tumble dry them on low heat for 20-30 minutes, then put them in the sun to dry (don’t dry completely in the dryer or you’ll ruin your expensive runners!). The issue is time – can you make do without your runners for a day?
Be Stink Free!
|EEWWW! Stinky shoes!|
|Spray 3 sprays of shoe deodorizer in each shoe.|
|Yay for #StinkFree shoes!|
How does it work?
What I Like
A Company That Gives Back
10% of all sales go back to helping others. Currently, Amare Terra is supporting The Water Project Inc. to build wells in Africa. Why are they doing this? Amare Terra loves Earth and people. : )
Where to Buy
Enter to Win!
I received a free sample of Amare Terra Natural Shoe Odor Eliminator to review and was not paid for this review. All words are my own and as always, this review contains my honest opinions.