Rain or shine, Banff has adventures of all sizes for any budget. Here are my top 5 things to do in Banff this weekend.
- Warm up in the hot springs! Upper Hot Springs is a wonderful spot to relax and rejuvenate after a day of exploring Banff. If you will be driving the Icefields Parkway, visit Miette Hot Springs in Jasper.
- Escape the rain at Cave & Basin and learn about the birthplace of the Canadian National Parks system. Visit the springs that inspired the creation of Banff National Park, then check out exhibits and interactive displays. Admission is free with your National Park Pass!
- Afterwards, walk the Discovery Boardwalk Trail (400 m) to see bubbling springs, colorful algae and endangered snails.
- Look for birds and wildlife along the Marsh Boardwalk Trail (500 m) below Cave and Basin.
- For a longer adventure (8.6 km return), bike or hike to Sundance Canyon! Enjoy the river views before going to the canyon.
On the way to Sundance Canyon
|Sulphur Mountain, Banff National Park|
|Johnson Lake, Banff National Park|
Look for the old Hermit Cabin at Johnson Lake
|Tunnel Mountain, Banff National Park|
Update: Thanks @lilideluxe for the heads up about bears on the Legacy Trail! There’s no official bear warning but black bears and grizzly bears have been seen on the trail. Carry bear spray and make lots of noise if you head there and stick to the Banff side as there are fewer bears where there’s a fence between the forest and the trail.
- Where to Eat
- 4 Banff Spring Hikes
- Tunnel Mountain
- Stoney Squaw
- Biking Tunnel Bench Loop With Kids
- 10 Springs Things to Do With Your Family in Kananaskis
- The Best Short Hikes Near Calgary
- How to Keep Warm in Spring with the Best Spring Gear, Snacks & Proper Hydration
- May Long Weekend Family Fun in Calgary
- Best Things to Do On Your Calgary Staycation: Includes top Calgary Attractions, Hikes and More!