Spend more time playing outside and less time researching with these 10 fun day trips to Banff!
- Ride the Banff Gondola, then hike to Sanson’s Peak (1 km round trip). Don’t forget to look for the red chairs! Afterwards, have dinner in Banff (Splurge: Maple Leaf Grill, Steal: Old Spaghetti Factory, Mid-Priced: The Bison), then finish your perfect day at Banff Upper Hot Springs. Mount Norquay’s Sightseeing Chairlift (ages 4 & up) is awesome too! Wine and dine at the Cliffhouse Bistro at the top after taking in the views!
At the Top of Sulphur Mountain
- Take the Banff Lake Cruise, then hike Stewart Canyon (3 km round trip), Johnson Lake (3 km loop) or Bankhead Historical Loop (1.1 km). Be sure to stop at Two Jack Lake on the way back for photos – there’s a small picnic area there too.
- Stewart Canyon is a unique smooth walled canyon of the Cascade River near Lake Minnewanka.
- Have a mini adventure searching for the old hermit cabin at Johnson Lake (located near the SW corner of the lake, just off the main trail).
- Bankhead is a coal mining ghost town with interesting ruins to explore.
|Johnson Lake, Banff|
|Billy Carver’s Cabin, Built in 1910|
|En route to Sundance Canyon, Banff|
|Water Tower Trail, Banf|
|Vermilion Lakes, Banff|
|Tunnel Bench Loop, Banff (Coastline section)|
|Banff Central Park Playground
Image Credit: Dana Wheatley, Calgary Playground Review
|Wildflowers at Healy Pass, Banff|
|Tunnel Mountain, Banff|
Have fun! What are your favorite things to do in Banff?
**Be sure to check park advisories before heading out! **