The school year is coming to an end and camping season is in full swing. Whether you stay in town or go away this weekend, I hope you make the most of the long days and play outside! Here are my top suggestions for fun in and around Calgary this weekend.
Calgary & Area
- Celebrate everything.about.paddling. at MEC Paddlefest at Chestermere Lake. Demos, clinics, kids activities, gear swap and more. Free!
- When: Sunday, June 12, 9 am – 5 pm
- Where: 121 Chestermere Station Way, Chestermere
|Canoes at Elkwater Lake, Cypress Hills Provincial Park|
- When: Saturday, June 11 & Sunday, June 12
- Where: Calgary Corn Maze, 284022 Township Road 224, Rockyview
- When: Friday, June 10 (Calysto Steel Band) & Saturday, June 11 (Go Ask Earl), 12 pm – 1 pm.
- Where: 8 Ave SW & Centre Street
|View from Douglas Fir Trail Lookout|
- After touring Reader Rock Gardens, have brunch at Reader’s Garden Cafe or bike the Elbow River Pathway.
- The Silver Springs Botanical Gardens are over a 3 km route (round trip), so allow time to explore all the gardens as well as the Chartres Labyrinth (flower maze). There are 3 geocaches to find along the route too! Learn how to geocache with your smart phone here.
Botanical Gardens of Silver Springs
|Bloom Art Installation and George C. King Bridge from St. Patrick’s Island Park|
|Barrier Lake, Kananaskis|
|Aspen Crossing Train Excursion
Image Credit: Calgary Playground Review
Banff & Kananaskis
- Check out these 10 Banff Day Trips to Do This Summer. Family-friendly trips including biking, hiking, horseback riding and more plus recommendations on where to eat. Please note that there have been bear sightings at Johnston Canyon and Cascade Ponds. Be bear aware! Hike in a group, make noise (especially near creeks, in thick brush, or when the wind is blowing towards you), and carry bear spray. For more bear safety tips, please see this post.
Tunnel Bench Loop, Banff
- More mountain fun (Banff, Bragg Creek, Canmore, Lake Louise, Kananaskis) may be found here.
- Black Prince Cirque and West Wind Pass are great hikes to try now in Kananaskis.
- This weekend is your last chance to bike Highway 40 without cars! Bike from the north side to Elpoca turnoff (10 km return, see video below), or from the Longview side to Cat Creek Falls (hike and bike for bigger kids or with Chariot/Trail-a-Bike).
- In Banff, hike and play at Johnson Lake. There’s a little beach there and the water is calm for paddling. Remember PFDs for everyone!
- Mount Fairview in Lake Louise is almost snow-free now, so if you have bigger kids who can handle 10.6 km and 1000 m elevation gain, this is a beautiful choice!
Johnson Lake, Banff
- When: Friday, June 10, 6:30 pm OR Saturday, June 11, 3 pm (gates open an hour before)
- Where: Cascade Gardens at the Parks Canada Administration Building, Banff
- Note: Gates open an hour early. Seating is first come, first served. Bring a picnic blanket to sit on.
- When: Fridays & Wednesdays, 10 am – 6 pm until October.
- Where: Bear Street, Banff
- When: June 12, 10 am
- Where: Riverside Park, Canmore
|Bill Milne Trail, Kananaskis|
- In Elbow Valley, Powderface Trail Road is in poor condition and may be closed after heavy rainfall or if the road is deemed unsafe for travel. Have alternate plans if the road is closed or be prepared to walk to the trailhead.
- Note that there is a bear in the area in Quaite Valley, Bow Valley Provincial Park, Village Rim, Kananaskis Valley, and several bear sightings per week in Canmore Nordic Centre Provincial Park. See 10 bear safety tips here.
- All Canmore area trails are open except Douglas Fir Bench.
- In Sibbald Flats, the Tom Snow Trail has one bridge out. All other trails good to go!
- Spray Valley – Chester Lake is closed until June 29, Burstall Pass still has 50 cm of snow at elevation.
- West Bragg Creek – please avoid muddy areas to prevent trail damage. One bridge out on Tom Snow Trail.
- Kananaskis Valley Advisories
- Peter Lougheed Advisories
- Sheep and Highwood Advisories
Mark Your Calendar
The winter gate on Highway 40 opens on June 15th. Late June is the perfect time to hike Ptarmigan Cirque!
|Ptarmigan Cirque, Highwood Pass Area|