Ribbon Creek Trail, near Kananaskis Village, is the perfect family snowshoe trail with views, bridges, and minimal elevation gain.
Starting from Ribbon Creek parking lot, follow the orange snowshoe trail markers west. The trail winds along the creek, occasionally crossing it, affording great views of Ribbon Peak and Mount Allan. My girls’ favorite thing was “troll hunting” at the numerous bridges (there aren’t any trolls hidden here, but it’s fun to go under the bridges and check), going off trail, and shaking snow off the trees! And going for treats at Moose Family Kitchen in Kananaskis Village! Go as far as you wish; the whole area is scenic.
Ribbon Creek Snowshoe Trail at a Glance
- Distance: 3.3 km one way. Return the way you came.
- Elevation Gain: 60 m
- Washrooms? Pit toilets at parking lot
- Chariot Friendly? Only if there is lots of snow. One bridge in the first kilometre has stairs leading up to it.
- Distance from Calgary: 98 km
- Parking: Ribbon Creek Day Use Area
- Trailhead: West end of Ribbon Creek Day Use Area
Know Before You Go
- There is avalanche danger beyond the 3.3 km mark. Please return the way you came!
- After 2 km, the snowshoe trail joins the cross country ski trail. Hikers, snowshoers, and cyclists should yield to skiers.
What to Bring
For information on what to wear and what to bring, please see our Snowshoeing Gear List (printable PDF available).
Where to Stay
Pomeroy Kananaskis Mountain Lodge and the HI Kananaskis Wilderness Hostel (temporarily closed until June 17, 2021 but you can rent out the entire hostel) are your nearest options! Read about our stay at HI Kananaskis Wilderness Hostel here.
Where to Eat
We love Moose Family Kitchen, a café adjacent to Pomeroy Kananaskis Mountain Lodge (in the same building as Kananaskis Outfitters). They have ramen, authentic Japanese beef bowls, as well as sandwiches, coffee, ice cream, and baked goods.
At Pomeroy Mountain Lodge, try Market Café for a quick bite, Woody’s Pub and Patio for a burger, Blacktail Bar for lighter fare (salad and sandwich), or Forte Restaurant for Italian.