Scroll down for the Gift Guide & Giveaways!
- Tunnel Mountain, Banff: 3.6 km round trip, 300 m elevation gain
- West Wind Pass, Spray Valley Provincial Park: 4.2 km round trip, 380 m elevation gain
- Sunrise Hill, Elbow Valley: 5.7 km return, 504 m elevation gain. Visit Forgetmenot Pond and Elbow Falls, while you’re in the area!
|Sunrise Hill, Elbow Valley|
|Playground at North Glenmore Park|
- Johnson Lake, Banff: The picnic area offers views of Mount Rundle! Enjoy hiking the lovely 2.8 km loop around the lake after your picnic.
- Middle Lake, Bow Valley Provincial Park: Take the trail around the lake for an amazing view of Mount Yamnuska! More information on the park is in the story: Family Fun in Bow Valley Provincial Park.
- Forgetmenot Pond, Elbow Valley: There’s a flat and scenic 2 km loop around the lake if you need to work off lunch.
- Mount Lorette Ponds has a nice picnic area, wheelchair accessible path going around the ponds, and fishing! See more information on Mount Lorette Ponds and nearby Hay Meadow/Troll Falls here.
- Barrier Lake has a picnic area, boat launch and nearby sandy beaches and turquoise water. Be sure to park at Barrier LAKE day use (not Barrier Dam).
2. Go paddling or fishing!
- Glenmore Reservoir is a fun place to paddle in town!
- Lower Kananaskis Lake has some monster bull trout and rainbows. Rent a canoe from Boulton Creek Trading Post (pay at the trading post and pick up at Canyon Day Use).
- Johnson Lake in Banff is a fun beginner paddling spot. *Note: no fishing here due to swirling disease.
- For a map of stocked fishing ponds in Alberta, visit Alberta Fish Stocking Map.
3. Play a round of mini golf, or hit a bucket of balls at the driving range.
- Livingstone Golf Course, 60 km from Calgary, has a beautiful 9-hole course and driving range as well as a cozy café with good eats! We enjoyed a delicious dinner and dessert at Limber Pine Café on Mother’s Day.
Vanilla nutmeg cake, Limber Pine Cafe
- Winsport (COP) has a fun, outdoor mini golf course.
Winsport Mini Golf
See a complete list of Calgary city golf courses here.
Father’s Day Gift Guide
Ecōths is an American company that uses natural fibres to make clothes with “urban rugged styling for the uncommon man”. We love how Ecōths items can go from casual Fridays to the cabin without missing a beat. The Winthrop shirt is my husband’s favorite for the laid-back look, fit, and wrinkle-resistant textured fabric (a blend of organic cotton, polyester and nylon).
Not only do these clothes look good and reduce your environmental impact, when you buy them, you help feed those in need. Through the 3 Campaign, Ecōths donates 3 meals per item purchased to food banks across the US.
|Carrington Short Sleeve Shirt & Ashcroft Shorts
Image Credit: Ecōths
|Rydell Short Sleeve & Kenzo Shorts
Image Credit: Ecōths
|KEEN APhlex WP Hiking Shoes|
Stormy Kromer is an American heritage company that was started in 1903 by Stormy and Ida Kromer. All Stormy Kromer products are still made in the US, which is really rare these days! I am a big fan of their caps, mitts, clothing, and bags, and am pleased to be giving away a cap to a lucky winner. Enter to win a Stormy Kromer cap below (shipping to Canada or US).
|Stormy Kromer Waxed Trucker Cap
Image Credit: Stormy Kromer
I used to live in Terramar Sports all winter, but since 2016, I wear it all year! Terramar’s new spring/summer line includes MicroCOOL tops that actually feel cool to the touch and keep you from overheating. I tested them backpacking last year in 29 degree heat (84F), and was comfortable in the long sleeved MicroCOOL hoodie. The material has 4-way stretch and UPF rating of 50+. Stay cool and avoid sunburn!
Their base layers are pretty rad too – available in a variety of colors and warmth levels. My favorite Terramar base layers are the Cloud Nine and Thermawool items.
Enter to win a MicroCOOL Shirt & Boxers below!
|Terramar Sports MicroCOOL Short Sleeve V-Neck
Image Credit: Terramar Sports
|Terramar Sports Pro Jersey Boxer Brief 6″
Image Credit: Terramar Sports
Universal Survival Technologies (UST Brands) makes survival gear every outdoorsman (and woman) needs. Surprise Dad with a Heritage Campfire Kit that contains everything you need to start a fire in any weather. They also make great first aid and survival kits – essential for camping and road trips!
Enter to win a UST Brands Heritage Campfire Kit below (Canada only)!
|UST Brands Heritage Campfire Kit
Image Credit: UST Brands
Oakley Sunglasses are the cream of the crop. We aren’t sponsored by them, but wish we were. The frames and lenses are practically indestructible. My mother-in-law ran over my husband’s Oakley’s with her big-ass SUV and aside from a few scratches, the sunglasses were fine! (Why my hubby left them in the driveway in the first place is beyond me.)
I have prescription Oakleys with Transitions lenses that go from clear to dark as light conditions change and love them for hiking, cross country skiing and backpacking. They’re so convenient for backpacking as I only need to bring one pair of glasses. My only regret is not getting polarized lenses for fishing to see the big ones lurking in the depths. They are pricey, but rugged, and will last a long time even if abused. Highly recommended for outdoor adventurers!
|Play Outside Guy & Play Outside Gal rock Oakleys!|
Thorlos Socks use clinically tested “engineered padded technology” and wicking materials to help with a variety of common foot conditions including blisters, plantar fasciitis, athletes’ foot, and foot pain. You can also select socks by activity (running, tennis, basketball, etc.) to ensure you get the maximum benefit.
My mom gave me a few pairs of Thorlos one Christmas because I have plantar fasciitis and am blister prone, and true to the promise on the packaging, my feet felt better and I didn’t get blisters.The socks are still in great shape, years later, as they are such high quality. I’m stoked to be testing 3 new socks in the Thorlos lineup: Outdoor Athlete, Outdoor Explorer, and Outdoor Fanatic. Loving them so far! More info coming soon!
|Thorlos Socks in action|
Gifts of Adventure
Here’s your chance to win some cool gear for a special Dad in your life! Prizes and eligibility are as follows:
- 1 Ecōths shirt (US only)
- 1 Stormy Kromer Cap ($49.99 maximum value, Canada & US)
- 1 Terramar Sports MicroCOOL Top & Boxers (US only)
- 1 Universal Survival Technologies Heritage Campfire Kit (Canada only)
Enter via the Rafflecopter widgets below. Contest closes June 6 at 11:59 pm MST. Winners will be contacted via the email address they provide & will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be selected. Good luck!
More Father’s Day Gift Guides & Giveaways
- 365 Atlanta Family – Ecōths: A Gift for Dad That Keeps on Giving
- Born to be Adventurous – Gear UP Dad for Father’s Day + Giveaway
- Mountain Mom and Tots – Great Gifts for Outdoor Dads
- Rockies to Islands – Father’s Day Gift Ideas for the Adventure Lovin’ Dad + Giveaway