For more information, read my story: How to spend an awesome winter weekend in Cypress Hills Provincial Park on SnowSeekers.
|Snowshoeing at Cypress Hills Provincial Park|
- The park is open year round!
- The Visitor Centre is open Wednesday to Sunday 9 am – 5 pm all winter (7 days a week in summer). Check out the cool exhibits, sign up for an interpretive program, or rent skis/snowshoes/ice skates/kicksleds.
- Alberta Parks offers awesome interpretive programs each weekend. Get more information here: Alberta Parks – Cypress Hills Events.
- Warm up at The Learning Centre (across from the marina, at the luge track/tobogganing hill) – open weekends as a warming hut.
Cypress Hills Provincial Park Learning Centre
- They have a ski hill (Hidden Valley Ski Resort) with great snow and a quad chair, as well as an excellent ski school!
Hidden Valley Ski Resort, Cypress Hills Provincial Park
- Cypress Hills Provincial Park is the only Alberta Park that rents kicksleds! Also known as sparks (“sparke” = kick in Norwegian), these sleds allow you to cover a lot of ground without much of a learning curve, and even carry a passenger! Glide along the shore of Elkwater Lake.
Kicksledding at Cypress Hills Provincial Park
- There are 5 cozy backcountry huts you can ski / snowshoe / fatbike to in winter (and hike or mountain bike to in summer). Some even have lighting and electrical outlets! At distances of 200 m – 8.5 km one way, these are very attainable for families. Get more information here: Alberta Parks – Cypress Hills Backcountry Huts. Check the cross country trail grooming report here.
Cross country skiing at Cypress Hills Provincial Park
- Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park is a Dark Sky Preserve and “one of the darkest, largest and most easily accessible dark-sky preserves” (Alberta Parks). This means there’s very little artificial light so you don’t have to walk far for epic star gazing. A few hundred metres from the Visitor Centre is far enough!
Stargazing at Cypress Hills Provincial Park
Thanks Jeff Samson for doing the light painting. 🙂
Roadtrip Tip: Fuel up and stock up on groceries in Medicine Hat (50 minutes away) before you head down.